LYDNEY welcomed Hertfordshire side HUEL Tring in Regional One Plate pool four of the Papa John’s Community Cup to Regentsholme.

The Severnsiders also face St Austell and Old Northamptonians but there must be a question of logic with teams and supporters travelling huge distances when a more regional format could have been arranged, writes Roger Pike.

Lydney have used 38 players this season, forced by a huge injury list, and added few more by giving some of their promising youngsters their debuts.

Lydney got off to the worst start possible when a dropped ball virtually from the kick-off gifted Tring a try from Olly O’Gorman which Ben Hogan converted for 0-7 in the opening minute. 

The visitors fielded a huge side both in forwards and backs and Lydney did well in defence all afternoon. 

The hosts made a good reply and put some good attacks together with Conal Mills tackled just a few metres short. 

Lydney then created a move from their own half with Brad Barnes getting the backs going, Nelmes made the extra man and he released Brad Dunn, who was superb all game, for their opening try. Barnes converted, and the scores were level. 

The game remained even but the Lydney scrum was coming under pressure from the big Tring pack. 

Winning a scrum penalty, Tring opted to kick to get the lead back 7–10 after 20 minutes. 

Another Tring penalty was missed but they soon got another for Hogan to extend the lead to 7-13.

The hosts responded well with Nelmes and Dunn making another good break and with the ball recycled hooker Sam Baker was tackled just two meters short. 

The try of the afternoon followed with Lydney spinning it out from deep to Dunn who evaded numerous tackles to run from his own half to score under the posts. Barnes kicked the extras and the hosts led 14–13 which was the halftime score.

Tring came out of the blocks in the second half but some great Lydney defence with Frowen leading the way kept them out. 

The impressive Hanslow, Williams and Mullis made good ground in the forward drives to get the hosts into the visitors’ 22m. 

When a clearance kick was charged down by Screen he collected the loose ball to score, again and Barnes slotted the conversion for 21–13. He then kicked a penalty from the 10m line to make it 24-13

After 60 minutes the visitors started to tire and lose their discipline, Scriven was running riot in the loose making huge ground and would have been man of the match without the Dunn show.

Barnes spun it out to Henry Sleeman and from the breakdown the superb Kyle Frowen picked up to spin through two tackles and score 29–13. 

With 15 minutes left Owain Williams, Wilf Doyle- Finch and Charlie Beddis came on for their debuts with the experienced Hudson and Jayne also entering for the final stages. 

Charlie Beddis, making his debut from the Colts, looked confident and got another Dunn break going, with the offload to Henry Sleeman ending in a score out wide with the extras from Barnes. 

Tring battled away in the final minutes but two good try saving tackles from Drew Roberts and Nelmes kept them out and the game ended 36–13.

The Severnsiders’ Director of Rugby Sam Arnott said: “They are clearly a good side but some superb defence all afternoon restricted them to just one try. 

“Really pleased to give three young lads their debuts so the future is looking bright for our club.”