DRYBROOK head to Twickenham on Saturday (May 11) for the final of the Papa John’s Community Cup after victory over Trowbridge.

Captain Mitch Bourne praised his side following the 27-20 hard, tense win at The Mannings on Saturday (May 4).

The visitors looked sharper in the opening 10 minutes and took advantage with a penalty and a try in the corner for an 8-0 lead, writes Chris Tingle

It was the scrum that provided the spark driving the much bigger Wiltshire eight off the ball and it was Bailey Watts who dived over to get Drybrook on the board

The official had a rather different view of the scrummage penalising on numerous occasions while going forward and having the visitors under pressure.

The home teams’ frustrations were compounded when Mikey Addis at just over five feet tall was yellow carded for high tackle on the six foot six Trowbridge second row. 

A well-executed catch and drive from the penalty gave them a 5-15 lead.

With half time approaching, Drybrook started to produce the type of rugby that has seen them win their last three games and a wonderful break by Sam Moreton-Smith nearly produced a try in the corner. 

Trowbridge were forced into conceding penalties and with the final play of the half Sonny Goodman clawed back three points for 8-15.

Drybrook kicked off and won the ball at the ruck for Bailey Watts to show great pace and sprint in from 25m for his second. Greenman’s conversion levelled the scores at 15-15.

Trowbridge were awarded a penalty from the restart and from the line-out scored their second catch and drive try.

Drybrook’s efforts to get back on top were continually hampered by the referee’s interpretations of the laws and Cai Rogers was yellow carded when he questioned why Drybrook were being penalised for pushing their opponents back in the scrum.

At five points behind, down to 14 and incurring the wrath of the referee Drybrook needed to show some true grit.

Drybrook were up against it, they were five points behind, down to fourteen men and incurring the wrath of the referee. 

Will Greenway came on, introducing himself with some big hits, Captain Mitch Bourne was leading from the front and rest of the team followed his example.

Twenty-five minutes in, Drybrook were eventually awarded a penalty at the scrum. They kicked to the corner and from the line-out it was Bourne who stole over the line to draw his team level. Goodman added the extras and Drybrook edged into the lead for the first time in the game.

Great defence from the home team kept the Wiltshire side at bay and when Ryan Chappell-Thomas broke loose down the right to make a clear run to the line the home crowd’s cheers could be heard throughout the village. They were silenced however when the ref adjudged the pass to have been forward. 

Trowbridge were given the opportunity to take back the lead but the kick for the posts drifted away to the left.

It was Chappell-Thomas who sealed the win with a try in the corner to ensure progress to the final.

Trowbridge had put up a valiant effort and Drybrook had to find all their resolve to overcome them. 

This was not the prettiest game you are ever going to see but for the purists it was a proper, hard-fought game and Drybrook had done well to come out on top.

Captain Bourne said: “It was a good performance and now we have to finish the job.”