Drybrook recorded a comfortable victory over the last team to have beaten them in the league, scoring thirty-one points and gaining their fourth victory on the trot, writes Chris Tingle.

The game could not have started better for the home team as they retrieved the ball from the kick-off and sent Sam Morton- Smith flying through for the first try of the game with just over a minute played. Tom Treherne added the conversion and Drybrook had an early 7-0 lead.

Drybrook had started with real intent and another attack ended with Mitch Bourne being denied as he was held up over the line.

Keynsham. after weathering the early pressure, slowly started to grow into the game and on 28 minutes made the most of Drybrook’s inability to clear the ball. A neat chip over the top led to a converted try to level the game up at seven apiece.

Stung into action, Drybrook upped the pace and were soon back in front after Sam Peaper – playing in his 300th first team game – powered over for the try and a half-time score of 12-7 in favour of the home side.

The second half started well for the home side and Cai Rogers looked to have scored, but once again a Keynsham defender did well to get under the ball to prevent the grounding.

There was no let up in the pressure and it was no surprise when Ryan Chappell-Thomas, the only Welshman having a good weekend, got on the end of a good move by the backs to go over in the corner.

Next on the score-sheet was the man of the moment Sam Peaper who grabbed his second try of the afternoon following some excellent work from the forwards. Treherne converted and with only 20 minutes left to play the game was virtually done and dusted.

Keynsham to their credit never gave in and Danny Price and Bailey Watts were kept busy in defence as the visitors did all they could to get back in the game.

As hard as they tried it was all to no avail and it was Drybrook who were to have the final say.

Keynsham attacked down the left, but a spilled ball was picked up by the Welsh flyer and Chappell-Thomas sprinted in from the half-way line. Treherne converted making the final score 31-7 to Drybrook.

There were plenty of positives to be taken from the game, not least the return of Mitch Baldwin after a long time out with a recurring knee injury. His power has been missed and he will be certainly a great addition to the squad for the rest of the season.

After having an enforced lay-off due to the inclement weather Drybrook, who are currently fourth in Regional Two Severn will be glad to have this game under their belts before travelling to second placed Old Centralians on Saturday for what is sure to be a tough encounter.

All in all a satisfactory result and five more league points in the bag.

Earlier in the afternoon Drybrook Thirds booked their place in the semi-final of the Forest of Dean Combination Minor Cup with a 60-3 win over Newent Phoenix.

The next home fixture for the first team is on Saturday March 23 when the visitors are leaders Royal Wooton Basset. It is also the club’s Ladies Day.

Drybrook (v Keynsham): Dean Jelf, Cai Rogers, Louis Morgan, Jordan Taylor, Sam Peaper, Bailey Watts, Casey Morgan, Mitch Bourne (capt), Tom Treherne, Sonny Greenman, Luke Roberts, Morgan Davies, Danny Price, Ryan Chappell, Sam Morton-Smith. Replacements: Mitch Hale, Mitch Baldwin, Jack Moss,