A 29-year-old Cinderford man attacked his partner, punching her repeatedly anad strangling her, when he got home from a drinking session with friends, a court heard last Friday, February 2.

Ashton Potter’s partner had been dog-sitting for him that day and he had told her they could go out for dinner when he got home from work – but instead he went drinking and did not get back till 9pm, Cheltenham magistrates heard.

“He became immediately aggressive towards her,’” said prosecutor Mrs Sue Gethin.

“He wrapped his hand around her neck and began to strangle her.

“He held her there for about thirty seconds. He continued to apply pressure for about another minute . She had extensiuve bruising on her neck. He said he didn’t care.

“He also punched her to the head and face numerous times and she had bruising to the face and swelling to the lips.

“He had been punching her with both his fists clenched.

“He then forced his face onto hers and tried to bite her cheek.

“She put her hand in the way to protect herself but he bit down on her hand, leaving a bite mark.

“He then made suicidal remarks. She tried to ring the police with her mobile phone but he threw it against a wall, damaging it.

“She left the address and used the SOS button in the car.”

Mrs Gethin said the prosecution submitted the case was so serious that a custodial sentence of 18 months was justified.

Ashton, of Colliers Field, Cinderford, pleaded guilty to assaulting the woman causing her actual bodily harm, intentionally strangling her and damaging her phone on January 30 this year.

David Brown, defending, said “He is very realistic about these offences. He has never been in custody before and he is a man of good character.

“He has entered his guilty pleas at the first opportunity.

“He is completely aware that the case will be committed to the Crown Court for sentence.

“I would ask for a pre-sentence report so that the Judge has full details available about Mr Potter’s background. “

Mr Brown said he would not be applying for bail on behalf of Potter.

The magistrates remanded him in custody to await sentence at Gloucester Crown Court on February 27.

The presiding justice told Potter “We are remanding you in custody until then because of the nature and seriousness of the offence, the likely outcome and fear of further offending.”