Lydney Town lift Hellenic Floodlit Cup on night of controversy

By Liam Ryder in Football

Flackwell Heath 3 Lydney Town 3 (Lydney Town win 4-3 on penalties)

Hellenic Floodlit Cup Final

LYDNEY Town were crowned winners of the Hellenic Floodlit Cup after a controversial final that needed penalties to settle it.

A hat-trick by Town’s leading goalscorer Declan Morley-Lyne saw the tie end level after 90 minutes and extra time, as Lydney came from behind twice and their opponents were reduced to 10 men.

Flackwell Heath took the lead on half an hour through Sheridan Campbell but seven minutes later Lydney were level.

A foul by Matt Stockhill in the penalty area gave Morley-Lyne the chance to equalise from the spot, and he duly converted to make it 1-1.

Stockhill made amends on 39 minutes with a header to beat Lydney goalkeeper Rich Thomas and restore the Flackwell lead.

The half ended with the Heathens ahead, but three minutes after the break a second penalty, this time conceded by Dan Weait, was awarded.

Morley-Lyne dispatched a second spot-kick before Weait was shown red for dissent.

The Town forward then gave his side the lead with his 33rd goal of the season on 63 minutes and Town will have smelt glory.

But Tom Willment struck a penalty on 71 minutes past Thomas and the Heathens kept it to 3-3 at the end of normal time.

No further score came in the 30 minutes of extra time, before captain Jamie Addis started the shoot-out with a successful attempt.

Lewis Bamford made it 2-0 in the shoot-out after Heath missed their first spot-kick, but the Buckinghamshire side pulled one back.

Jack Rutter made it 3-1 to Lydney before another successful penalty from Heath kept the pressure on, and they brought it back to 3-3 with a Lydney miss.

Goalkeeper Rich Thomas was the hero however when he scored his spot-kick and saved the final attempt to clinch the sliverware.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C